Sunday, September 5, 2010

2010 Hugo Winners


  • Best Novel: TIE: The City & The City, China MiĆ©ville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK); The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade)
  • Best Novella: “Palimpsest”, Charles Stross (Wireless; Ace, Orbit)
  • Best Novelette: “The Island”, Peter Watts (The New Space Opera 2; Eos)
  • Best Short Story: “Bridesicle”, Will McIntosh (Asimov’s 1/09)
  • Best Related Book: This is Me, Jack Vance! (Or, More Properly, This is “I”), Jack Vance (Subterranean)
  • Best Graphic Story: Girl Genius, Volume 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the StormWritten by Kaja and Phil Foglio; Art by Phil Foglio; Colours by Cheyenne Wright (Airship Entertainment)
  • Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: Moon Screenplay by Nathan Parker; Story by Duncan Jones; Directed by Duncan Jones (Liberty Films)
  • Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: Doctor Who: “The Waters of Mars” Written by Russell T Davies & Phil Ford; Directed by Graeme Harper (BBC Wales)
  • Best Editor Short Form: Patrick Nielsen Hayden
  • Best Editor Long Form: Ellen Datlow
  • Best Professional Artist: Shaun Tan
  • Best Semiprozine: Clarkesworld edited by Neil Clarke, Sean Wallace, & Cheryl Morgan
  • Best Fan Writer: Frederik Pohl
  • Best Fanzine: StarShipSofa edited by Tony C. Smith
  • Best Fan Artist: Brad W. Foster
  • John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer: Seanan McGuire

Well, I guess I wasn't the only one who had trouble deciding between Mieville and Bacigalupi - the collective consciousness of Hugo voters had the same issue. This is only the third tie in Hugo history, but I'm pretty happy with the results this time (unlike in 1966).

I called "Waters of Mars," and I'm happy there. I was close on Moon, and I'm not unhappy about that win. I'll stop trying to defend Avatar now (it did already win a Saturn, which is probably more it's speed).

I was off on Graphic Story quite a bit. I know the Foglios are widely beloved, but I do wonder if this is just going to be the Girl Genius category in perpetuity.

I was also way off on my personal preferences for the short fiction categories. "Palimpsest" really surprised me, as did "The Island" to a lesser extent. They both had great ideas though. I'm just a bit sorry that "Eros Philia Agape" didn't win. "Bridesicle" I really did like in a category with three clear stand-outs. Well, I've said before that I've never been that in to short fiction - I guess my taste in that realm is a bit different than most.

I also want to mention that I'm glad StarShipSofa and Clarkesworld won the zine categories. The former is a really nice podcast, and both provided audio readings of several of the short fiction selections, which I mentioned has become my favorite way to consume shorter stories.

Overall, some surprises, but I very nice set of winners overall that does represent the strengths and variety of speculative fiction.

Happy Labor Day weekend for those in the States. The blog will be back to regularly scheduled, Hugo-reviewing activities from Friday onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment