Monday, March 5, 2012

Political Bloggers Argue about Star Wars

I don't know how much overlap there is between people who have lots of sf review blogs on their feed and people who have lots of wonky political science blogs on their feed. In case, as I suspect, there aren't many out there besides me, I bring you the great political journalist/scientist Star Wars debate of 2012:

Kevin Drum kicks things off by making a solid case that Return of the Jedi is not only not-horrible but actually the greatest of Star Wars films.

Professor Seth Masket overreacts and makes the mad claim that Revenge of the Sith is better than that Ewok trash.

Professor Daniel Drezner plays the voice of reason and reminds us all that Empire is the best, but there's no way a prequel film is better than an original trilogy entry.

Professor Jonathan Bernstein pipes in briefly (point #5) to argue that the original Star Wars is the best.

I'm with Drezner, though I am a big Jedi apologist.

And, while I'm at it, the recent and immensely popular Machete order for watching the films for the first time. There are some good arguments in here, and if you read my prequel review you know that I generally agree, but I don't see the point in watching II and III at all unless you want to see what else is out there and get the "full story"...in which case, you might as well inflict Episode I upon yourself as well.

Much as I complain, I'll probably watch all 6 again when the kid old enough.



I'll have a real review up at some point this week (maybe even this afternoon).

No comments:

Post a Comment